Module 3 of4
7 Steps for Self-care
- Find time to do the activities that YOU enjoy. This will lift your mood and energize you.
- Be willing to ask for help.
- Seek out, identify and discover new things that may help you feel better, reduce stress or bring you comfort. Maybe it is a new experience or something you always wanted to do.
- Get a good sleep. Sleep is crucial to your energy levels and mood. Don’t underestimate it!
- Breathing exercises can be an effective way to manage anxiety symptoms. Simply inhale as slowly and steadily as you can for a count of four seconds through your nose (if possible) and then exhale through your mouth for a count of four. Repeat as many times as needed until your breath become less ragged and you find that the rest of your body starts to soften. Practice this even when you aren’t feeling particularly stressed to help keep your own anxiety at bay.
- Be HONEST with yourself about future expectations, even though it may be painful to think about. In the end, it will lower the pressure put on by perfectionism.
- Meditation can be an excellent way to clear the mind and practice control of your emotional reactions. It might help to:
- Listen to soft music or nature sounds
- Close your eyes
- Sit in darkness or clear your mind by focusing only on the flickering of a candle’s flame.